Friday, July 27, 2012

Lost Keys and Lost Mind...

Hello, friends! 

A few days ago I posted on how two of my best friends in the whole wide world got married.  It was a really great celebration, but also a super stressful weekend for me.  Not because I was a groomsman.  It wasn't because I was the reception MC either.  It wasn't because two of my best friends were getting married.  Nope.  It was stressful because I lost my keys...

Let me break it down for you.  At 2pm on Friday I met with other groomsmen to pick up our tuxes.  They went to go hang out at one of the groomsmen's house until the wedding rehearsal @ 3:30 but I had a few errands to run so I bolted.  From there, I went to the bank to pick up a money order for our new apartment but that took shorter than anticipated.  I ended up at WashU (Go Bears!) where the rehearsal was going to be with about 25 minutes to spare.  The chapel wasn't open and I didn't want to sit in my hot car, so I went into one of the buildings and read for a bit.  Then I made my way to the chapel and we had the rehearsal. 

When I got back to my car, I realized that I didn't have my keys.  I checked my backpack and they weren't in there.  I called the groom to see if I left them in the chapel.  I did not.  I went back to the building where I did my reading but they weren't there either.  I retraced my steps back and forth at least twice.  I even called Triple A to unlock my car in case I locked the keys in there.  No dice.  Somewhere on the WashU campus, my keys are lying there, lonely and without purpose.  Even worse, I was pissed. 

See, when you think about it, losing your keys isn't the end of the world.  It costs less than $2 to get a new copy made at Walmart.  Meg and I had to drive to CoMo to get my spare car key but even that turned into a date of sorts which was kind of nice.  No, the lost keys weren't the problem.  It was what they represented. 

Perfection.  That is always the goal.  Why do something poorly when you can do it perfectly?  Losing one's keys may not be a big deal monetarily, or even from a time perspective, but it means that I messed up.  And I hate messing up.  I spent a good hour or two beating myself up because I had lost my keys.  That isn't something that I do.  I strive for perfection. 

Really, this is an area where God is working in my life.  I have to learn that perfection is not attainable.  I have to be willing to extend myself the same grace that I extend others when they do not do things perfectly.  Someone once told me that it is a pride thing.  By holding myself to a higher standard, I am telling those around me that I do not think as highly of them since I do not expect the same from them.  It's not a good place to be. 

The key copies have been made.  All is well.  I even learned a lesson.  Now, here's hoping it never happens again.  =0). 
 
Stats:
Places traveled: Downtown for lunch with a student, campus, and plasma.
Distance traveled: 4.0 miles ($.37)
Meters: 6 hours on campus ($6) + 3 hours downtown ($1.80)

Total: $8.17
Grand Total: $269.35
Left to save: $308.20
Happy Biking! 
~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment