Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Strategy...

Hello, friends! 
If you'll notice, it's been about 3 weeks since I last posted.  I was in California for a few weeks and there wasn't much riding to do then.  Plus, it has been WAY hot here in Missouri (as well as many other places in the country).  Like, sick hot.

But, that is no excuse to quit on my dream of paying off Sulu via money saved riding my bike places where I could drive.  I was able to do a little of that yesterday and today, which was nice, but I think some changes are in order. 

First, I have to ride in Saint Louis.  If I am going to be in Saint Louis most of the week, it would make sense that I would want to ride in Saint Louis in order to save me some cashage.  Meg has a bike rack that fits on a car so it shouldn't be a problem getting Sulu back and forth.  My MPG may suffer ever so slightly, but I'm sure that the change will be worth it. 

Second, I have to ride more in Columbia.  Much of what I do during the summer is planning and preparation for the semester to come.  Usually that means me hanging out it my semi-cool basement in front of a computer.  Why can't I do that on campus in the air conditioning?  What's stopping me besides laziness.  Nothing, that's what! 

I was going to write something about my third change was to build a weather machine so it wouldn't be so daggone hot but that would probably end up costing more than the bike.  So, instead, I'll just keep it at two very simple changes.  We'll figure it out my friends.  This is going to be awesome!  =0). 

Stats:
Places traveled: Campus, home, my friend Bob's house, and Jingo's for lunch today. 
Distance traveled:  5.9 miles ($.56)
Meters: On campus 3 hours ($3) + Downtown 1 hour ($.60)

Total: $4.16
Grand total: $261.18
Left to save: $316.37

Happy Biking!

~Adam

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Adam,

    Same predicament! Though mine was simpler to calculate:
    1 month driving = $160
    1 month biking to work = $80
    So after riding about 4 months, I've paid off $320 of on sale $400 bike :)
    Not to mention the exercise I wouldn't get otherwise (24 hr is expensive!). Also forces me to bring lunch to work! Wins at so many levels.

    -ed

    ReplyDelete