Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Inefficiency of a Pedometer...

Hello, friends!

I found a new app for my phone.  It is a pedometer, which tracks the number of steps that I take on a given day, as well as calculate the distance that I walk and the calories burned.  Pretty much, it has turned me into a very inefficient person. 

One thing that you may know about me is that I am highly competitive.  I will compete with anyone over anything, even if that means competing with yesterday's self to make sure that I take more steps today than I did yesterday.  I will compete against the "average" US male, who takes about 7100 steps per day to make sure that I will take more steps than him.  Competition does weird things to a guy.  Why would I walk my bike when I could ride it, even for a few steps?  Because it will make my pedometer happy.  Why will I take the furthest parking spot possible?  Because it means I get in a few extra steps.  These are the things that happen when you are highly motivated by competition. 

Here's what I've found.  I actually don't walk a ton.  My average step count has been somewhere around 4000.  That even includes all my "cheating."  I spend most of my day sitting with students or sitting to prep stuff for my students or sitting in car, driving from one place to the next, or sitting on Sulu, riding from one place to the next.  I'm not sure if I can be 10,000 steps inefficient, like the doctors (whoever they are) say I should be.  But, I guess we'll see, right? 

Stats:
Places traveled: Just to campus and back yesterday.
Distance traveled: 2.0 miles ($.21)
Meters: 4 hours on campus ($4)

Total: $4.21
Grand Total: $304.19
Left to Save: $278.84

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment