Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Athleticism Defined...

Hello, friends! 

An athlete, I am not.  Well, at least not a good one.  As I look at it, there are 5 traits of athletes:
- Speed: How long does it take you to get from point A to point B?
- Quickness: How are you at changing directions?
- Strength: How much can you pull, push, or lift?
- Endurance: How long can you go?
- Balance: How are you at staying on your feet?

If I were to put myself on a scale, I would say that I was average in most of those areas.  But, there is one area where I am absolutely terrible.  I have no balance. 

My brother will tell you.  Staying on my feet is not a strength of mine.  Maybe it is because of my flat feet.  Maybe I have a smaller (or larger) inner ear than normal and that throws off my equilibrium.  It could be a number of different things. 

This is pertinent for biking for a number of reasons.  One, this probably explains why I have a tendency to crash my bike around once a semester.  Also, this is probably the reason why I am unable to do the one thing on a bike that I have always wanted to do... ride with no handle bars. 

I see them all the time!  Folk will be riding around town with their hands at their sides or under their armpits to keep warm.  Sure, it may not be the prettiest image, but it's still something I've always wanted to be able to do.  I try from time to time, but I can never last for more than a few seconds. 

Anyway, here are the stats:
Places traveled: Campus twice, Parkade for a meeting, and Plasma
Distance traveled: 14.7 miles ($1.47)
Meters: 2 hours downtown ($1.20) + 8 hours on campus ($8)

Total: $10.67
Grand Total: $163.76
Left to Save: $410.87

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment