Friday, April 6, 2012

The Front End of Daylight Savings...

Hello, friends! 
It's been a few weeks since Daylight Savings began and most of the US was thrust forward into the future one glorious hour.  From my understanding, Daylight Savings was started back in the day as a way to keeping down energy costs.  I'm note entirely sure of the logic, but I think it has something to do with business hours and keeping stuff running during particular times.  Either way, we've moved ahead one hour and it is getting darker much later in the day. 

However, the front end of that means that it is also getting lighter later in the day.  Since I have been out of town and not on my bike for a while, this wasn't a big deal.  But, this morning I went to work out early in the morning and I realized how dark it still was outside.  What is the deal?! 

From my understanding of the earth spinning on its axis, as well as observation from the past 27 years of existence, the days are going to get longer on both means, meaning that more time will be added on the front end and the back end of the day, but it was still a bit of a shock to bike out in the dark this morning.  I guess that's my fault for trying to get an early start on the day.  =0). 

Stats:
Places traveled: Campus, Plasma, Campus a few more times, downtown for lunch, and campus again.
Distance traveled: 21.4 miles ($3.04)
Meters: 17 hours on campus ($17) + 6 hours downtown ($7.20)

Total: $27.24
Grand Total: $210.84
Left to Save: $366.76

1 comment: