Monday, April 30, 2012

Lessons from the year...

Hello, friends!
It has been FOREVER since I last posted.  My apologies.  I have been traveling the world these past 3 weeks with no opportunties to bike.  Thus, the blog has laid dormant.  We are coming up on the end of the school year, which means that soon I will be out of opportunties to pedal in earnest for a bit.  So, I figured I would throw down a few lessons that I learned from the past 8 months of biking.

1) Miles mean nothing.  METERS are how you make the big bucks.  In CoMo, the cheapest meter you are going to find is $.60/hour.  Given my current calculations, I would have to bike a little over 6 miles, or 1.5 trips to campus in order to get to $.60, which is great exercise, but it doesn't do much for my job.  Definitely the more efficient thing to do is to park Sulu behind the student center for 8 hours (at $1/hour) and let the pennies add up.  =0). 

2) Biking in the rain isn't the worst thing in the world.  I think the best investment that I made this year was getting fenders for Sulu.  Before, even if it wasn't raining, biking after a rain sucked because of all the puddles and such.  Now, it's actually somewhat pleasant.  That was definitely money well spent. 

3) Blogging keeps me honest.  Thanks to you, my faithful reader(s), I have much more motivation to ride than I did before.  There is a certain accountability that comes from knowing that I get to write about my "adventures" and that I also have a goal in mind.  So thanks! 

Ultimately, these past few months of riding have been great.  I am glad that I started, and am looking for many more miles (and pennies) to come! 

Stats:
Places: Campus, Jingo's, Campus, Plasma, back to Campus, Bengals, and home. 
Distance traveled: 11.4 miles ($1.14)
Meters: 2 hours on campus ($2) + 2 hours downtown ($1.20) + 2 more hours on campus ($2)

Total: $6.34
Grand Total: $217.18
Left to Save: $360.42

Happy Biking! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment