Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Kinda Getting Older...

Hello, friends! 

Sometimes in life there are moments when you realize that you are not as young as you used to be.  There are times when you come to the conclusion that your body can't do the things that it used to be able to do.  Today was one of those days. 

Today, I tried playing basketball.  Actually, I didn't play too badly.  We played one game of "21" and 2 games of "2 vs. 3."  I won our game of 21 and won the game of 2 vs. 3 when I was part of the 3.  Except for the last game when I missed everything, my jump shot has gotten better and I even had a few nice drives to the basket for some layups.  My passes were mostly spot on too.  If you look at it, my basketball game has actually gotten BETTER since high school, when all I had was a baby hook and a jump shot that looked like a knuckleball. 

Except in one area.  I have no endurance anymore.  We hadn't played for more than 15 minutes before I had my hands on my hips and was panting like a dog.  Normally I pride myself on my defense and rebounds but today I couldn't seem to stick with anyone or box anybody out.  We ended up playing for about an hour and a half and I was pretty gassed for most of it.  I re-aggrivated a tendon in my foot and was playing a little bit gimp, but that doesn't change the fact that my conditioning isn't what it used to be. 

I'm not saying that I'm a marathon runner, or ever have been, but things were never this bad.  I competed in a triathlon just last year.  I used to run 3-5 miles without much trouble.  I once held my breath for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  I used to at least be an athlete. 

But it seems like not so much anymore.  If the most exercise I get in a day is riding my bike to campus then something is wrong.  If my idea of cardio is golf (I love it, but it isn't exactly the most strenuous of activities), then maybe I am not putting in the work I used to.  Something needs to change. 

101 days from now I will be married (crazy, righ?!).  For the next 100 days, I am going into hardcore "get back into shape" mode.  I'm not going to hurt myself trying to go too fast too fast like in previous times, but I am going to eat better and try to get myself back to where I ought to be health wise.  It won't be perfect.  My trip to California is still going to consist of eating a lot of delicious things that are bad for me but I only get to eat once or twice a year.  But, so long as I know that now, I can plan accordingly. 

Who knows how much biking I am going to get done these next few weeks and months.  It may be a ton, it may be just a little.  But, it won't be all.  Let's do this! 

Stats:
Places Traveled: Plasma, Campus, and Home.
Distance Traveled: 4.0 miles ($.38)
Meters: 2 hours downtown ($1.20) + 5 hours on campus ($5)

Total: $6.58
Grand Total: $251.65
Left to Save: $325.95

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment