Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sleepless @ 35,000 Feet...

Hello, friends!

I am currently writing this post while on a plane back to sunny, beautiful, but not oppressively hot, Southern California.  I will be hanging out in Cali until July 10, seeing family, visiting with old friends, and doing a little fundraising.  I am very much looking forward to it.
The reason I am writing to you while in the air (I won't actually post this until I touch down for lack of free internet on the plane) is because I can't sleep, which is rare for me and unfortunate.  See, I get some solid motion sickness so I have conditioned my body to fall asleep as soon as my butt hits the chair and my seatbelt is fastened.  It doesn't matter the time of the flight or how tired I am, once my tray is locked unto the upright position and my carry-on is stowed, I am out like a light.

Well, usually.  Sometimes something goes wrong.  Since I have some time, I thought I would share with you the top 3 sleep blockers, in order or annoyance.

Coming in at Number 3 is an oldie bit a goodie: crying babies.  Sometimes it is their first time flying.  Sometimes they have motion sickness like me or are sick or hungry.  Whatever the case, they are loud and depending on proximity, can disrupt even the best of naps.  The reason that the young ones are number 3 on my list is because I know they can't help it..  They are babies.  I can't hold their crying against them when they don't even have the body control to not wet themselves.  So, babies get a pass.

Number 2 is a different story.  I call this friend the talking rowmate.  You know the type.  This is the person who, bless his soul, wants to make a new friend, and since you are going to be right next to each other for the next few hours, it may as well be you!  Normally having a conversation with someone wouldn't be a big deal for me but on a plane is a different story.  My hat is covering my eyes.  My seat is reclined.  I have taken off my glasses.  What has two thumbs and probably isn't in much of a mood to talk.  That's right, "This guy".  However, these folk are just trying to be friendly and I can appreciate that.  Under normal circumstances this would be great.  So, the rowmate is not the worst.

And then there was one.  Our final contestant is actually the reason I am posting right now (and probably why this post sounds like a cranky rant).  Congratulations, Loud Conversationalist Behind Me, you win!  Look, I am sure that your conversation is very important.  Outlining exactly what you do for a living in excruciating detail, talking about the last 3 books you read, or explaining why you are "so over" the guy who just broke up with you is top notch stuff.  No one is saying you have to be quiet.  But, if you would keep it to a level so that the entire plane doesn't have to hear about your "killer margarita" recipe, it would be much appreciated.

Stats:
Places traveled: Bengals a few times, campus a few times, and once to the plasma center.
Distance traveled: 6.9 miles ($.62)
Meters: 3 hours on campus ($3) + 3 hours downtown ($1.80)

Total: $5.42
Grand Total: $257.02
Left to Save: $320.53

Happy biking!

~Adam

1 comment: