Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ok, We're Back!!!

Hello, friends! 

It's been over a month since Sulu was hijacked and so far there has been no sign of him.  I'm still holding out hope that he'll be recovered at some point but it is time to move on. 

There was a serious question from me as to whether or not how I should continue with this blog.  The purpose of the blog was to justify the purchase of Sulu by documenting all the miles I bike and hours I spend not doing meters.  With Sulu gone, does that mean I should stop blogging since I'm not saving any money by using Sulu?  If I use another bike, does it mean that my efforts do not count toward the original purpose of the blog? 

As I thought and prayed about it more, I decided that really, this blog was about more than just one bike.  It was about me attempting to adopt a healthier and more efficient lifestyle.  Biking has been such a blessing to me, not only in terms of money saved but also in making me think more intentionally about my health and my time. 

So, I have decided to keep going.  Thanks to a generous gift from someone who knew about my bike being stolen, I was able to get most of the costs of getting my old bike repaired covered.  I've also spent some time on campus and downtown in the past week or so to recoup pretty much all of the sunk costs. 

Of course, there are lessons to be learned from all this.  Locking up my bike, especially when it is out in the open, is a high priority.  (Duh).  But I think the big takeaway for me is what is happening moving forward from here. 

Here's the new goal: +$600 so I can buy a new bike.  I'm going to stick with the bike I have until I can save up enough to buy a new bike.  We'll see how this goes.  =0). 

Stats:
Bike repair: $79.60
Gift: $65
Distances: 9 miles ($.75)
Meters: 4 hours downtown ($4.80) + 10 hours on campus ($10)

Total: $.95
Grand Total: $382.84
Left to Save: $200.19

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment