Friday, November 7, 2014

Fishing...

Hello, friends!

Apparently, my 101st post on this blog was my last blog where we finally made our way into the positive. That's kind of a fun number, isn't it? If I raise $600 every 100 posts then I really ought to be posting more often, yeah? Anyway, back to business.

I've taken up a new hobby... fishing. =0).

For our anniversary, Megan bought me a fishing pole, which is pretty much the greatest thing ever. There are a number of small lakes in Columbia that are stocked by the Missouri Department of Conservation and random and secret times. Seeing as how I have an addictive personality, I've taken to going as fishing as much as humanly possible. I've even looked up sites on how the moon can affect when is the best time to fish.

There are so many great things to love about fishing. First there's the joy of catching fish (more on that later). There's also the peacefulness that comes from being out on the lake with nothing but your pole, some lures, and hope that the fish are biting. I've taken to listening to audiobooks while fishing, which means I'm also learning while I'm fishing. It's a two-fer!

Really, there are only 2 things wrong with my new hobby. The first is that I haven't yet figured out how to bike with my pole and gear and such to where I want to fish (That's why this post is on this blog and not my other one). I'm not a huge fan of driving such short distances (it's about a half mile from my house to the closest lake) but the other option is crashing my bike and breaking my fishing pole, so I guess I'll go with the lesser or two evils.

Here's the other problem. Apparently, I'm REALLY BAD at fishing. I can't seem to catch anything of significance! The past 3 or 4 times that I've been fishing, I've literally SEEN the fish nibble at my lure then swim away. It was windy so I couldn't tell for sure but I'm pretty sure I heard some of the fish laughing at me.

Of course, the fish that I HAVE caught haven't been much either. Below are 3 photos of fish. Guess which two I caught and which one Megan and I ended up eating because the guy who caught it didn't want it. I'll give you a hint, I didn't catch the big one. =0).

So, my friends, there you have it. I have a new hobby. I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile it with fishing. I'm also trying to figure out how to not be terrible at it.

Stats:
Distance: 10.5 miles ($.61)
Meters: 11 hours on campus ($11) + 3 hours downtown ($1.80)

Total: $13.41
Grand Total: $632.09
In the Positive: $29.08

Happy Biking!


No comments:

Post a Comment