Monday, February 6, 2012

Biking in the dark...

Hello, friends!

A few days ago I decided to go camping.  Random, I know, right?  It had been forever since I'd done anything close to camping (ok, maybe 8 months, but it still felt like a long time) and I had a free night so I figured I would go for it. 

One of the things that I love about CoMo is that it is very bike friendly and is actually very close to other bike friendly venues.  There is a sweet trail about 9 miles from CoMo called the Katy Trail that pretty much follows the Missouri river all the way to Saint Charles.  There's also a trail from CoMo called the MKT Trail that leads right to the Katy Trail.  Pretty convenient, right? 

There was one flaw in my plan, and that was that it is still winter.  In fact, we're just about in the middle of winter.  While it hasn't been super cold, there's always the chance for weather to make things crazy.  The weather report said that Thursday (the day I left) was going to be clear, but that Friday was probably going to have rain.  I may be an Eagle Scout, but if there's a way for me to avoid getting rained on, I am all about it.

I biked out to Easley, MO, which is about 15 miles from CoMo, and it was a pretty easy ride.  The one thing that was a little rough was that I left about an hour later than I wanted so I was biking in the dark.  The harder part was getting up at 5 in the morning and biking back the 15 miles after not enough sleep so I would beat the rain (I beat it).  The camp site was nice and the weather was cool but not cold with just a slight wind.  Honestly, I would totally do that again and just add a few days to the trip. 

What's the moral of the story?  Biking + Camping = Awesome. 

Stats:
Places traveled: Walt's, campus, Walt's, home, Easley, home, plasma, campus, home
Distance: 41.4 miles ($3.67)
Meters: 6 hours on campus ($6) + 2 hours downtown ($1.20)

Total: $11.87
Grand Total: $127.47
Left to Save: $447.16

Happy Biking!

~Adam

2 comments:

  1. Wait, so...did you go camping...by yourself???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yups! All by my lonesome. Don't worry though, I told folk where I would be. =0).

    ReplyDelete