Monday, August 29, 2011

08-29-11 Cow Tipping? Only if the service is excellent!

Hello, friends!

Today I went to lunch at one of the new-ish Korean restaurants in town, Kui.  I actually wouldn't even have known about it except that my friend (also former student, also current tenant) Jay is a server there.  He said that the lunch specials are pretty solid, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I will say that the food was actually quite good.  The radish kimchi was excellent and the pork bowl was very flavorful.  For $7 I got my fill and then some, including miso soup and a salad.  Jay was my server and he did a great job, especially in making recommendations from the menu and bringing out my food.  I had no problem tipping $2+ for a great meal and a great server.

But, that did get me thinking about tipping.  Everyone tips differently.  Apparently Tiger Woods and LeBron James have their thoughts on tipping.  Mine is really simple: double the tax and round up to the next dollar.  Sometimes it's 16%.  Other times it is closer to 30%.  Either way, it's way easier for me to have a hard and fast rule than worry about precise calculations and consider the service and such.  Unless I see a server actually spit in my food or be obviously rude to me, that's how they are probably going to be tipped.

Today's stats:
Places traveled: Kui, Campus, Ace Hardware
Distance traveled: 5.2 miles ($.51)
Meter: .5 hours downtown ($.30) + 2 hours on campus ($2.00)

Grand Total for the day: $2.81
Grand Total so far: $34.06
Left to save: $540.47

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment