Friday, September 2, 2011

09-02-11: Oops, I forgot something!

Hello, friends!

This blog has been about the money I've saved by not having to drive places because I can bike.  One of the things that I haven't been calculating is the psychological value that riding Sulu has on me.  I talked a little bit about it in a previous post but there isn't a way to quantify it.  Sometimes, there are little events that make you glad you have a bike and not a car.  Today was one of those days.

One of the hallmarks of ACF (Asian Christian Fellowship) is that on Wednesday nights we have free dinner and a bible study.  We call it Large Group.  Back in the day, when it was just a few students and me meeting in an apartment, I would cook for everyone.  But, as we grew to 20, then 30, now 35+ students, handling cooking as well as prepping bible study was not possible.

Thankfully, one student, Asha, joined our group.  Asha is not only an excellent cook, but she is great at cooking for large groups of people.  Hooray!!!  So, for our first Large Group of the year, Asha cooked a sweet meal in my kitchen, then brought it to campus.  However, in all her awesomeness, she forgot her sunglasses at my place.  Yesterday she texted me and asked if I could bring them to campus.  Sure!

Well, I got to campus, was about to call Asha when I realized... I FORGOT HER SUNGLASSES AT HOME!!!  Here's where the psychological benefit comes in.  If I was driving, I would have had to have made a decision.  Do I blow my meter $, as well as my parking space, to drive back home then back to campus and do the whole thing all over again?  Or do I tell Asha that I blew it and have to work out another time to get her sunglasses?

How about option #3?  Ride back home, pick up the glasses, ride back, and continue with my day.  Oh yes, that is what we call a win for Sulu!  =0).

Today's stats:
Places traveled: Plasma, to and from campus twice and then my friend Bob's house.
Distance traveled: 8.7 miles ($.85)
Meter: 1.5 hours downtown ($.90) + 3 hours on campus ($3)

Grand Total for the day: $4.75
Grand Total so far: $42.07
Left to save: $539.55

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment