Thursday, September 1, 2011

09-01-11: A Setback?! Oh No!!!

Hello, friends!

Today, we had a $10 setback.  Well, sort of.  Our bike cost went up $10, but it was a good thing, so I don't mind so much.  I had my bike registered with the National Bike Registry.  For $10, my bike is officially registered for 10 years, which means once it is stolen, it will be easier to recover.
Why do I say "once it is stolen" instead of "if"?  Well, because I have bikes that get stolen a lot.  Here's the rundown:
- Freshman year of high school, my bike was stolen for somewhere between 1-6 hours.  I locked it up at school, went to all my classes, and when I came out, the bike was parked in a different place and my lock was broken.
- Freshman year of college my bike (same bike) was stolen for 2 days.  During finals my bike was stolen.  2 days later it was found on the other side of the dorms.
- Junior year of college my bike (same bike again) was stolen for good.  This was also at the end of the year.  The lock was busted and the bike was never seen again.
- This summer my bike was stolen.  Actually, it wasn't my bike, it was my friend Josh's bike.  Except that it wasn't his bike as much as it was the bike he custom built for his wife, my friend Val.  I locked it up behind a Qdoba in Saint Louis, and when I returned later that evening, bike and lock were both gone.

One change that I have made with this new bike (I'm leaning toward "Sulu" right now...) is that I bought one of those Kryptonite locks.  You know, the big heavy U-shaped ones.  Here's hoping that adds to the safety.


Here are today's stats:
Places traveled: Just back and forth to campus
Distance traveled: 4 miles ($.39)
Meter: 4.5 hours on campus ($4.50)
Bike registration: $10


Grand total for the day: -$5.11
Grand total so far: $37.82
Left to save: $544.20


Happy Biking!


~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment