Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Source of Pride and a Badge of Honor

Hello, friends! 

I have a confession to make.  If you know me at all, this will not come as much of a shock to you, but I am a very prideful person.  Ironically enough, it's not something I'm proud of, but it is who I am. 

What does this have to do with bicycling?  Well, it goes like this.  I'm not only prideful, but I'm also rule conscious.  From a biking standpoint, it means I wear my helmet when I bike.  Safety is no accident you know.  But I always have this battle when I park my bike and lock it up to go inside.  Do I take my helmet with me, or do I wear it in? 

There are tons of good reasons to bring a helmet inside.  You don't want it to be stolen.  You don't want it to get rained on or a bird to poop on it.  You just biked to a roller derby bout and need the helmet inside.  But why do I bring my helmet inside and with me wherever I go?  Because I like people knowing that I biked to get where I needed to be. 

Economics has this concept known as signals.  It's a fairly intuitive concept.  The idea of a signal is that any action a company takes can be seen as an indicator that signifies some other characteristic of that company.  If a company receives an award of some sort, that is a signal that it is a good company.  At the same time, if a company lays off 40% of its workforce, that is a signal that the company is in trouble. 

As I see it, wearing a helmet inside signals that someone biked (duh) but also that they are energy conscious, money conscious, and probably in decent enough physical condition to bike places.  I could be totally misplaced here, but those are my signals.  So, we'll continue to ride, we'll continue to be safe, and we'll continue to wear our helmet inside.  =0). 

Here are yesterday's stats:
Places traveled: Campus twice
Distance traveled: 5.1 miles ($.46)
Meter: 1.5 hours on campus ($1.50)

Grand Total for the day: $1.96
Grand Total so far: $56.34
Left to save: $525.16

Happy Biking!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment